Things to do in Tully - Home of The Golden Gumboot - Australia's Wettest Town - Whitewater Rafting - Adventure Meets Leisure
Tully is only a 2 hour drive south of Cairns and 2 hours north of Townsville. It well known as one of Queensland’s largest sugar cane and banana producers to the region and also one of the wettest towns in Australia!
There is plenty to see and do when visiting Tully:
- Visit the Big Golden Gumboot! The boot stands at 7.9 metres (25.9 ft) and represents the record rainfall for Tully in 1950. The boot is composed of fibreglass and has a spiral staircase to the top of the boot that allows a view of the town. Historical photographs of floods in the district are displayed on the walls inside the boot for visitors to view as they climb to the top.
- Tully White Water Rafting. The Tully River is known as one of the best places in Australia to go white water rafting. Rapids range from easy Grade one to the more challenging Grade six.
The Tully River will be the venue for the 2019 World Rafting Championships.
- Tully Sugar Mill Tour (only available during the crushing season of June – November). Learn about the history and process of the local sugar cane industry.
- Climb Mount Tyson. Spend the day with family and friends to explore this 3 hour track.
- Have a relaxing swim at ‘Alligators Nest’. There is a large swimming platform which provides easy access to the crystal clear waters of this rainforest stream.
- Learn more history about the Tully region. The Tully Heritage Trail is located at the local Tully visitor centre. You can collect a map of the trail here, before exploring through a series of 20 story boards providing you a snippet of this town’s rich history.