At the heart of the Canecutter Way, Paronella Park is the result of one man’s dream.
His name was José Paronella and his dream was to build a Castle.
Located on 5 hectares beside Mena Creek Falls, Paronella Park is about a 100km drive south of Cairns.
Some quick facts about Paronella Park:
- José Paronella arrived in Australia from Catalonia, in 1913.
- The park opened to the public in 1935.
- The park consists of a Museum, Ballroom/Theatre/Café, Picnic Area overlooking a waterfall, another Café, Gravity Fed Fountain, Tennis Courts, Bridges, a Tunnel and a Secret Garden with another Waterfall.
- Over 7,500 tropical plants and trees
- Queensland’s first privately owned hydro electric plant.
- The park was the location for some of the movie Sniper released in 1993 (from the 30 minute mark)
- 24 months entry to Paronella Park
- Van park site for one night - camping is also available. (Bookings Essential)
- The Dream Continues Tour (Day Tour)
- The Darkness Falls Tour (Evening Tour with Light/Music Finale)
- The Hydro System Tour
- Souvenir Guide Book/Map
- Café on the Deck
Once you have purchased your ticket, you are more than welcome to use the park's facilities to enjoy a picnic - feel free to bring your own food/drinks.
What To Bring:
- Camera - Paronella Park is a photographer's paradise
- Water Bottle - you can refill with cold water on the Tour & Café Decks
- Hat - most of the park is shaded but still a good idea
- Sense of Adventure - prepare to be amazed by the sights and stories of this stunning place
José Paronella dreamed of building a tourist park in the bush in North Queensland in the 1920s – long before there were any tourists even thinking of coming here.
José followed his dream and here we are, nearly 100 years later, and this is still a tourist park.
So remember, if you have a dream, follow it; because if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?
Photo by the_travelling_mermaid
Want to learn more about José Paronella’s dream?